California offers grants of up to $3,000 each qualified homeowner for seismic retrofit, new registration deadline: Oct 17, 2025


SACRAMENTO — The California Earthquake Authority encourages qualified homeowners to register online by October 17, 2025 for the grants of up to $3,000 each household for residential seismic retrofits as preparedness for the possible strong earthquake hits in the future.
In 2011, the California Earthquake Authority and the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services created a joint powers authority, the California Residential Mitigation Program (CRMP), to help Californians strengthen their homes against damage from earthquakes.
Under the California Residential Mitigation Program, an Earthquake Brace + Bolt (EBB) grant program was established in 2013. The EBB program offers critical funding support for seismic retrofits that bolt houses to their foundations and brace crawl space walls—proven methods to reduce the risk of earthquake damage.
Since the EBB program’s launch in 2013, more than 33,500 California homeowners have received assistance through EBB. In addition to the EEB grants of up to $3,000, qualified income households may also be eligible for supplemental grants of up to $7,000, which can cover as much as 100% of retrofit costs.
The California Residential Mitigation Program (CRMP) opened its second EBB grant registration period for 2025 in August running from August 20 through October 1. It was also for the first time, the open registration expands eligibility to include non-primary residential properties, giving landlords and other property owners the opportunity to apply for seismic retrofit grants to strengthen wood-framed homes built before 1980 with raised foundations against earthquake damage.
This year's first registration for the EBB grant program was opened in January in which nearly 19,000 homeowners registered.
In 2025, more than 1,100 eligible ZIP Codes across the state were added to the program, including 303 added earlier this year.
The EBB program offers qualified homeowners grants of up to $3,000 to help cover the cost of bolting houses to their foundations and bracing crawl space walls . These seismic retrofit upgrades help to reduce earthquake damage and provide more resilient housing in high-risk areas.
The California Residential Mitigation Program (CRMP) announced that the latest registration period for the EBB grant program has been extended for two more weeks to October 17, 2025 from the original October 1 deadline.
“Every retrofit makes California stronger and more resilient,” said Tom Welsh, CEO of the California Earthquake Authority. “By aligning with the Great ShakeOut, this extension ensures that more families are reminded of the simple but powerful steps they can take to protect their homes before the next big quake.”
“Extending the deadline helps meet the high demand for earthquake retrofit assistance while drawing attention to the importance of preparedness as millions of Californians take part in the Great ShakeOut on October 16,” said Janiele Maffei, Chief Mitigation Officer of the California Earthquake Authority (CEA). “This extra time gives homeowners and rental property owners another chance to apply, choose a contractor, and begin strengthening their homes. Each retrofit improves safety not just for families but for entire communities.”
More than $20 million is available in this registration period to offset retrofit costs. Interested property owners can learn more and register at EarthquakeBraceBolt.com.
- Moderate Congressional candidate Hurabiell receives support from Chinese American voters
- Congressional candidate Chakrabarti visits Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association and hosts free movie event to honor Superstar Bruce Lee
- Open Forum: An open letter to Sunset residents in regard to District 4 Supervisor election
- San Francisco Independent Media Coalition hosts Congressional candidate forum to discuss issues of Great Highway closure, immigration policy, wealthy tax, AI regulations, and more
- $25 million Downtown Business Fund launched offering grants, loans and expert support to entrepreneurs for revitalizing San Francisco Downtown
- San Francisco offers grants to Chinese-speaking business owners citywide who fill vacant storefronts
- Opinion: Yet the Auxiliary Water Supply System has not been expanded, leaving ⅔ of San Francisco vulnerable to post-earthquake catastrophic fires
- A robbery against an elderly Chinese woman in Sunset District leads to 4 arrests linked to 5 criminal incidents in one single day in San Francisco



